Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mountain Biking Happy Jack

I had the day off again, so I loaded up my bike and drove out near the Vedauwoo.  Just before Vedauwoo, you come to Happy Jack Recreation Area.  This place is full of mountain bike loops.  Several of the trails are used for ATVs, horses, and hikers as well.  This was a big accomplishment for me as I was a little nervous to be going mountain biking in a new place with no map.  I stopped at several places on the way and nobody could give me any information.  Luckily, the trails were pretty well marked.

This is the beginning of the trail system at Happy Jack.
The view from the ridge as I climb.
The trail winds through beautiful aspen groves.

This is near the beginning of the trail.  My bike was not nearly this clean afterwards.
This trail is called The Summit.  It is double track and covered with snow in several parts.  Up ahead you can see a snow drift and a small lake.
As I climbed the Summit trail I encountered much more snow and soon was hiking with my bike more than I was riding.  So, I turned around and found a single track trail called Headquarters.
I love this single track!
The Headquarters trail is the most well known trail in Happy Jack.  I can see why, I loved it!
After I got too high on the Headquarters trail and ran into more snow, I came back down and ended up on this trail called The Meadows.  Most of this trail was a running creek from all of the snow melt.
The largest snow drift that I had to hike a bike over.  So did everyone else.

1 comment: